Category Archives: Townsend

Indie Developers, The OUYA Has Arrived!

The OUYA has arrived! After hearing how easy it has been for other devs to get their game up on the big screen, I’m very excited to give it a go.

| 2 Comments

Retopolized Terrain and Mobile Ready Cartoon Trees

It’s been nearly two months since the last post, and in that time I’ve been doing a lot of important work on Townsend. In a nutshell, I’ve fleshed out the rest of the terrain’s ground, come up with a workflow for retopolizing it, and figured out how to make the cartoon assets mobile-ready. Ready for [...]

| 5 Comments

Townsend’s Inventory GUI is Finished

After over a month of on-and-off coding, the first GUI widget is finished–the inventory widget. From a player’s point of view, there’s nothing really that innovative to it; it’s purely functional. However, from a developer’s point of view, dang that thing took a long time to make.

| 1 Comment

Integrating NGUI With FingerGestures

3-14-2013: Wow, this has become one of the most frequented page on my website. In hindsight, its title may be a little misleading for developers looking to use NGUI with FingerGestures, as I don’t go into any code or anything. Leave a comment if you’d like to hear more about something in the post–or even [...]

| 2 Comments

NGUI Implementation and More

This weekend I was able to put in a lot of time into Townsend. In a nutshell, I spent a lot of time on the UI system and being able to pick things up from the ground (ie: harvesting). Apart from learning how to use NGUI, this involved making an inventory system, figuring out how [...]

| 1 Comment

New Assets, New Rig, and a New Job

It’s been quite a while since I’ve written anything on my blog, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been working on Townsend! In the two months(?!) that I’ve been quiet, I started working full time at my job, and I can’t help but think how lucky I am to be doing exactly what I like, [...]

| Leave a comment

Something Big: Finishing Touches

After last week’s plunge into technical systems, I was glad to be able to focus on the content half of the scene. So glad, in fact, that I forgot to take screenshots of the progression! Oops… oh well. So, without any progression, here is what a grassy, blank-looking thing from last week turns into after [...]

| 2 Comments

Something Big: Technical Work

As it turns out, there was a piece of technical work that I had forgotten about: Pathfinding on terrain. This in turn led to other changes in my pipeline–and yay, more work. In the end, though, I managed to use some sweet systems to cut out a lot of manual work.

| Leave a comment

Making Something Big

So far I’ve mainly focused on ironing out my workflow and coding systems. That stuff is very important and all, but often times it’s not very exciting! And I prefer exciting.

| Leave a comment

Optimizations and Android APKs

  Please note that the new shaders unintentionally use real-time shadows, and trees are missing due to upcoming new environments. While this build features no new gameplay elements, I have managed to increase the frame rate by 15-20% and cut the file size down by half (by two-thirds for the webplayer, even). Now that’s progress! [...]

| 6 Comments